Sunday, May 31, 2009

Chapter 6: That Darn Hat

Once in the Alice ride, Cruella and Eugenia soon realized to their great dismay that all the white rabbits were made of cardboard or wood. So they departed from the ride in disappointment. After talking it over, the two conniving comrades decided their best plan of action was to look for the bratty little Alice. For, where Alice was, there was a good chance the white rabbit couldn’t be far behind.

-------

Jack tried to squeeze on the hat again, but it still didn’t fit him. He considered cutting off some of his dreadlocks but then realized that would be taking it a bit too far.

“Oh you stupid little hat thing. I wish you would just fit my head!”

As soon as he muttered the words aloud to himself, he saw the hat grow slightly larger in size. Filled with awe, Jack once again slowly brought the hat to his head, hesitantly trying it on. IT FIT!

“Well, I’ll be a monkey’s uncle! I wonder…” he fiddled with the hat some more but, for the life of him, the pirate could not figure out what he had done to make the hat suddenly fit his head.

“I wish I could understand how to work the bloody thing.” He muttered.

No sooner had the words passed Jack’s rum-stained lips when he suddenly completely understood the hat’s purpose. It had the power to make wishes come true.

Now, this, I can have some fun with, thought Jack, with a smirk, imagining the possibilities.

-------

Meanwhile, Merlin and Hatter were just disembarking from their ride along the happiest cruise that ever sailed. But the two were not the happiest character’s that ever sailed, that was for sure.

For one thing, Merlin was deep in sad thought about his beloved hat and the good times they had had together. Hatter on the other hand, was busy writing down notes about every suspicious looking doll and piece of scenery he had seen on the ride.

“That little blondie in Switzerland sure looked like she was hiding something. Did you see the way her eyes shifted back and forth so fast?? It was almost…mechanical. Yes, I will have to look further into this.” Sherlock Hatter furiously scribbled something on his notepad, and then continued, “And I just have a really bad feeling about that big Sun. Did you see that fake smile on his face??? He’s a part of this…I just know it! Merlin? Merlin???”

But Merlin hadn’t heard a word. He was too lost in his own thoughts. At the moment, he had been reliving a splendid memory of him and Dulcinea at the park. Ah, what a day that had been. After a joyful ride on the swings and a sunny picnic on the grass they had sat and reveled in their happiness for hours. Until they had happened to come across a little lost frog. Merlin had taken the creature into his own care and had named his new friend “Janessa”. That had been the start of a beautiful friendship…until…

“Merlin!!! Are you crying??” an obnoxious Hatter shouted loudly, breaking poor Merlin from his deep thoughts.

Merlin quickly wiped away a tear that had crept upon his cheek, “No, I- Of course not!” he sniffed angrily.

“Oh good then! So, who do you think it was, Merlin? The Switzerland girl, or the Sun? OOH! Or the water fountain?? I haven’t ruled him out yet!” he said as he shot a glare in the direction of said water fountain.

But Merlin had simply had enough. He needed to be alone. But, being the nice old man that he was (albeit, he was prone to a few tantrums) he decided he would rid himself of the Hatter graciously.

“Hatter, I really think you should search inside the Haunted Mansion,” he began, “I’m sure there are many suspicious persons in there that may have something to do with all this.”

In truth, the Mad Hatter was more than a bit frightened of the Haunted Mansion, but he didn’t want Merlin to think so, so he agreed.

“Yes, er, yes, I think that would be a splendid idea. Shall we go?”

“Oh, uh, no…Hatter, I’m afraid I will not be accompanying you this time…” he saw the obvious disappointment that registered on Hatter’s face and, feeling a little bit guilty, Merlin continued, “For you see, I, um, have to…keep an eye on…the ant! Yes, the ant! It’s a small job, I know, but you are so much better at this than me and, well, I thought I would give you the more important job.”

The Hatter suddenly brightened and for a moment, he forgot all about his fear of ghosts and floating objects.

“I see what you mean, Merlin! I’m off to inspect the Mansion!” he cried with purpose as he ran toward New Orleans Square, leaving a slightly guilty, but very relieved, Merlin alone.

-Mickeylover

No comments:

Post a Comment